?

?

Friday, March 6, 2015

13 Days To Glory


In the early morning hours of March 6, the Mexican Army advanced on the Alamo. After repulsing two attacks, the Texians were unable to fend off a third attack. As Mexican soldiers scaled the walls, most of the Texian soldiers withdrew into interior buildings. Defenders unable to reach these points were slain by the Mexican cavalry as they attempted to escape. Between five and seven Texians may have surrendered; if so, they were quickly executed. Most eyewitness accounts reported between 182 and 257 Texians died, while most historians of the Alamo agree that around 600 Mexicans were killed or wounded.



These are my personal pictures from the Alamo. I've been many times in my life and every time I go back I feel that hardened heart of mine beat just a bit softer in remembrance for the brave men who sacrificed their lives and told Santa Anna where to stick it. I live about 45 minutes from San Jacinto, where Santa Anna was caught April 22, 1836 (the day after the battle) trying to avoid capture. It is rumored he was dressed as a woman. I find that plausible considering the amount of bodies that Sam Houston's men stacked up on the battleground in 20 minutes of fighting. That's all it took for his soldiers to kill 630 of the Mexican soldiers and capture 730. 20 MINUTES...








 



No comments: