Friday, July 10, 2015

Turning on that night light

TC Contender Super 14 in 30-30

So to recap yesterday's shooting adventure with the one who does not gun... Man, what an afternoon. I have not had my patience tested like that in a while. Of course, we went over the safety rules, and what does what with the firearm he would be shooting. He was a fish out of water. My main goal was to get him relaxed and comfortable. It took me about 30 minutes of adjusting, stopping, repositioning, explaining sight alignment / sight picture, and getting his breathing under control just to get him hitting paper at 10 feet. It was a little frustrating to say the least. After about 50 rounds of him sending down range everywhere but where he was "aiming", myself and another friend got him in the zone. I mentioned to him he could always use the pistol as a club or throw it and see if he could hit the target with it. Humor is sometimes a good injection to get folks to relax a little and enjoy things. He still needs to work. Like I said, this guy is new to gun culture and I think we got the hooks set in him pretty deep. 

 Care to guess which target I was on? The one on the right is where we finished with his last pistol shoot. Mother of God, that was a huge improvement from him not even hitting paper and digging the dirt out all around it.

Two folks I was shooting with got their cherries popped with an AR and also an SKS yesterday. We are making great strides.

He also got a hold of the TC Contender as well and I think he almost blew a wad in his tighty whiteys from that one. That pistol has some serious knock to it if you've ever fired one, especially in .30 caliber. It is always awesome to see the endorphin rush hit a new shooter and see them experience a new high that they've never felt before. So yeah, we brought another one over to the dark side and he's already hit me up this morning to go back once he returns from his trip. Score another one for the good guys. You lead heads have a great Friday.


hiswiserangel said...

I have a list of women I love, starting with my mom (married to Poppy for 54 years and I finally got her on the range last year) and including college gal pals, life long friends, and some of the girls I used to teach in high school. 90% of them continued on, got their concealed carry permits and carry regularly, the other 10% at least know the basics.

Don't you love the rush of a new shooter? :-D

Stackz O Magz said...

Absolutely love it! I just got my mom on the range weekend before last for the first time ever. Scroll back a little on my main page to New Old Steel or copy and paste http://thebeardedbackyarder.blogspot.com/2015/09/new-old-steel.html

She loved it! I've been shooting for as long as I can remember and Mama never was really into it like all of us were. She says she's hooked now though. I'm happy she's finally decided to exercise her 2A Right.