?

?

Monday, October 20, 2014

Trying harder


The other day my smokin' hot little barefoot gardening squaw put me on something that really caught my attention. It was an article from a guy who just like me, is a father of daughters, who is just trying to carve out a path in this world and take care of his family and make sense of it all. I wasn't blessed with Sons who have the backs of white mouth mules who can work as hard as the day is long like me. I was given two little tender and sweet baby girls who look up to me in a major way to guide them on their paths into adulthood. I wouldn't trade em' for a golden monkey either.

I read this post that the HuffPo picked up and published on their site. It's good stuff to know. I don't know about you guys, but I've never gotten the manual from the hospital that they send home with each kid that tells you how to take care of and make sure your kids grow up to be successful people in life. It's tricky sometimes.

I'm guilty of not doing some of these things. I don't look at it as being "conditioned" or being "trained" on how to take care of daughters or raise them by being asked to read this article by my wife at all. Hell, I'll take all the help I can get since I know I'm quite strict and demanding at times with my kids and have to remember I'm not dealing with a squad of Marines who I expect to hop-to with the quickness when I say "GO!". My oldest understands my expectations the majority of the time, but she slips up just like everyone else. She's human. I know she's human. But sometimes, I just cannot let go of her view on how to do certain things. I do things with Speed and Intensity. I was taught to walk with a purpose in life and with everything you do, try and do it well. Make it count.

It's taken years for me to learn to slow down and develop patience for their ever developing young minds that are full of questions. I really work hard at being a great dad and try to put them first ahead of every thing else in my life, but with a stressful career and having to keep up with the rat race, sometimes a lot of attention they need gets overlooked. I can admit I have things to work on. Wish me luck...

Here's a small sample of:

15 Things All Dads of Daughters Should Know


1. She wants to be loved. More than she wants the stuff you can buy her or the things you can teach her, she wants you to love her. No one else on Earth can assume your role as daddy. Your daughter will let you down, make huge mistakes, and maybe even turn her back to you for a season, but don't ever let her doubt your love for her. Look her in the eye and tell her you love her. Lots.

2. You have an influence on her future partner. Scary thought, but the kind of man you are to her will have a direct impact on who she chooses to marry some day. For years, our third daughter would beg me to marry her when she grew up. I had to explain that I was already married to her amazing mother. If you're doing it right, she'll want to marry someone like you one day. 

3. Listen to her music. When my girls are in my car, you'll be able to catch us rocking out to the following Pandora stations: Taylor Swift, One Direction, Cody Simpson, Kidz Bop Radio, Katy Perry, you get the point. Not stations I'd listen to on my own (with one exception -- I love Taylor Swift), but when it lights them up, it lights me up.

4. She's watching how you treat her mom. If you take one thing out of this entire list, make it this. One of the best things you can do for your daughter is to love her mom well. It's easy to be child-centered. Running from one kid activity to another. But fight for your marriage and make it a priority. The seasons of life when I lose focus on dating Brooke (my wife) are also the same seasons when our children have more issues. I don't think that's coincidental. Love your wife, make time to date her, take her on trips, and show your kids that she is a bigger priority than they are.

Read the rest here Dad...
 

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thanks. I have a daughter too and am ashamed to admit I violate a lot of those rules (Why are you listening to that music ? etc.). I suck as a Dad (no patience) - I'll try and do better. Thanks for reminding me.